Fresh Milk is pleased to share, for the third year in a row, an open call for the ‘My Time’ Local Residency 2016.
Having again received generous support to make this residency possible, one Barbadian artist will be selected from this call to undertake a one-month residency at Fresh Milk, and will receive a stipend of $1,000.00 BBD towards their production costs. Visual artists working in a variety of disciplines (sculpture, installation, painting, drawing, performance, photography, new media, interdisciplinary) are invited to apply.
We are particularly interested this year in artists whose work reflects on culture, identity and place in ways which fall outside of stereotypical narratives, challenging the notion that culture must be read or represented in a singular way.
Emphasis on a cross-disciplinary approach to research and production is also an area we are interested in supporting; the selected artist will share the studio with an artist, researcher and educator whose work centres around the creation, presentation, promotion and facilitation of critical discourse around contemporary Pacific arts practice. This could be an exciting opportunity for collaboration or cross-pollination of ideas during the shared time on the platform.
Duration of Residency: 4 weeks
FRESH MILK will provide:
– A $1,000.00 BBD stipend to the artist
– Wireless internet
– A 15.5 x 14 ft studio space
– A wide expanse of rural land
– Access to the Colleen Lewis Reading Room on site
– A varied network of creatives to connect with including an international resident artist with whom the successful candidate will share the platform
– The option to participate in a public event showcasing the outcome of the residency
– Artist must be Barbadian
– Artist must not have taken part in an on-site Fresh Milk Residency within the last 2 years
Expectations of the Artist:
– Artist must come out to the studio a minimum of four days per week between Monday and Friday. Studio access is between 8 am and 6 pm
– Artist must supply their own materials and equipment
– Artist must complete some form of public outreach in relation to the work created during the residency (artist talk/presentation, workshop, exhibition, etc.)
– Artist will be required to keep a weekly blog of their activities and processes, and submit a report to Fresh Milk at the conclusion of the residency
– Artist will be required to donate a piece of work to the donor who made this residency possible
To be considered, please submit the following to email@example.com with the subject line ‘My Time Local Residency 2016 Proposal’:
– The completed application form which can be downloaded here (includes applicant’s contact information, an artist statement, and full residency proposal)
– An up to date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
– A numbered portfolio of 5-10 images (or 2-3 short videos as the case may be) of recent work
– An index of the portfolio pieces in numerical order, with the title, medium and date listed
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The deadline for submission is March 28th, 2016. The residency must take place between June 6 – July 1, 2016.